Address: 701 N C Street
City: Indianola, IA
Phone Number: 1.800.362.2454 / locally, 961.1624
Web URL: http://www.simpson.edu
The best evidence we can offer as to why someone should choose Simpson College is to ask someone who did.
Like Jessie Hoffman: “I have found my best friends at Simpson, and have loved every moment of these four years. Simpson has so much to offer, and will stay with you forever.”
Like Shawn Schossow: “I think the most surprising thing about Simpson would be the amount of effort the professors put forth in order to attain a personal relationship with the students.”
Like Morgan Ryan: “Simpson is known for being so close to Des Moines! I have now had two internships and three job shadows. I would not have a job now if it weren’t for either of those.”
Jessie, Shawn and Morgan are recent graduates who represent Simpson’s Class of 2017.
Each chose Simpson for different reasons. What they have in common is the assurance that they made the right choice.
What are the factors that set Simpson College apart?
- Our proud legacy. Simpson was founded in 1860. The alumni include George Washington Carver, the famous scientist who was turned down at other colleges because of his race. But he found the same welcoming environment at Simpson that exists for today’s students.
- Our location. Simpson’s home in Indianola, Iowa, sits a few miles south of the prosperous Des Moines metropolitan area, which offers internship and career opportunities close to campus.
- Our commitment. Every person at Simpson is dedicated to the success of our students, which might include a career, graduate school or working to help others. The people in our admissions and financial assistance office will do everything they can to help make college more affordable for you. Nobody pays the full list price, so check out the opportunities. A great private school education is within your grasp.
- Our campus. In a word, it’s beautiful. We provide a safe, nurturing learning environment on 85 acres, with satellite campus offices in West Des Moines and Ankeny.
- Our robust array of majors and minors. We offer more than 80 majors, minors and pre-professional programs (like nursing or engineering.) Our new majors include Health Services Leadership, Human Services and Sports Communication.
- Our professors. At a large state university, the chances are good that you might be taught by a teaching assistant. At Simpson you will be taught by professors, and most hold doctorate degrees in their fields of study. The faculty to student ratio is one professor for every 13 students, which means they will take the time to know you and help you achieve your dreams.
- Our academic program. Several years ago, Simpson took a hard look at its curriculum. The result was Simpson Engaged Citizen Curriculum, which was designed to equip students with the skills that employers and graduate schools are seeking. Our students are prepared for whatever they choose to do next in life.
- Our willingness to adjust. We are proud of our heritage but always looking for ways to improve. Our Continuing & Graduate Programs reach non-traditional students who are looking to return to the classroom. Our new majors reflect changing societal needs and student interests. Our new buildings – including the Kent Campus Center and the Steven Johnson Fitness Center – provide students with modern amenities.
- Our athletic teams. Simpson athletes compete at the NCAA Division III level in the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and the size of our college means more opportunities for students.
- Our clubs, organizations and Greek life. At Simpson, you will be encouraged to get involved. Many of our students find the leadership skills they developed serving in student government or on a club pay dividends in their career. Our alumni hold leadership positions in the Des Moines, the state of Iowa and throughout the country.
- Our spirit. At Simpson, you can perform in or help produce one of our stage productions (our opera program is known throughout the world). Or you can join the Simpson Speech, Debate and Mock Trial Team (the speech team recently won a national championship.) Or maybe you will win a prize at our popular, student-sponsored “Bingo Nights.”
- Our big heart. Simpson students are committed to helping others, whether that be delivering food to local churches every week or helping elderly raises paint their houses on Campus Day.
Ishaya David came to Simpson from his home country of Nigeria. When his brother was tragically killed, Simpson students organized a fund-raising drive on their own that would allow him to return home to be with his family.
Ishaya was asked to give one of two keynote speeches at the 2017 Simpson Commencement.
He said he often was asked: Why Simpson?
“I used to have a default response, which was, ‘Who can turn down a full-ride scholarship from an American college?’”
At Simpson, he said, “I found my voice, and I became more engaged and outspoken….
“The Simpson experience changed my default response. So now when people ask me, ‘David, why Simpson?’ I ask them, ‘Where else?’”
You, too, can experience Simpson the way our recent senior class did.
You, too, can get your start in life, as George Washington Carver said he did.
You, too, can learn what we mean when we say, “Your success begins at Simpson College.”
We want to hear from you. Even more than that, we want to meet you. Schedule your visit today: http://simpson.edu/visit-simpson/
Plan a Visit!